In the Revista Facultad de Ingeniería, the review is carried out by a panel of external experts, to the affiliation institutions of the authors of the paper chosen by the editors to give their opinion in writing, with the purpose of improving the paper. In this journal the double-blind review is carried out, to provide anonymity for both authors and reviewers and guarantee impartiality, objectivity and reduce bias in the evaluation process.
After establishing the paper meets the criteria and the quality to start the reviewing process, through the OJS platform the request is made to reviewers according to their academic level, publications, investigative experience, among others. The reviewers are asked about their availability to perform the arbitration of the paper, a response must be given within 5 days. When the reviewers decline the invitation, the journal must found at least two alternates. Once the request for arbitration has been accepted through the OJS, the reviewers commit themselves to submit their concept within a period of no more than 30 days in order to avoid long intervals of time in the reviewing process.
The reviewing process of the paper will be based on the pertinence of the subject for its publication in the journal, relevance of the subject, thoroughness and soundness of ideas and concepts, as well as the overall organization, structure and wording of the paper and strength of the sources.
The reviewing must consider the contribution to the knowledge field, the innovations, the critical judgment developed, the appropriate form of citation, the bibliographic references used, its correct wording, among others. Recommendations will be indicated, if pertinent, for the modification and improvement of the text evaluated.
According to the peer review, they are also consulted on the classification of papers according to the following definitions:
- Scientific and technological research papers: This kind of paper presents original results of research projects. The structure of the paper generally contains four excerpts: introduction, methodology, findings and conclusions.
- Review paper: This paper is the result of a research study which analyzes, systematizes and integrates published or unpublished research findings, within science and technology fields, in order to summarize its current state, progress and development trends. It is characterized by the presentation of a careful literature review of at least 50 references.
- Case report: A document that presents the results of a study on a specific situation in order to report the technical and methodological experiences considered in a particular case. It includes a systematic review of literature on similar cases.
Every review will include a recommendation to the Editor. This recommendation will be one of the following:
- The paper is accepted in its present form.
- The paper is acceptable with minor revisions and no further review is requested.
- The paper may be acceptable with major revisions. Acceptable pending another review following significant revisions.
- The paper is rejected and no recommendations are provided.
Once the reviewer submits the evaluations to the journal through the OJS, the thematic editor of the journal, based on the evaluations and the arguments presented in them, makes the decision regarding the publication of the paper in the journal. In some special situations, the final decision of the journal may not coincide with the recommendation of some evaluator, because there are papers that have up to 3 and 4 evaluations that may present contradictions. The final decision is taken by the Editorial Board based on the joint analysis of all evaluations received.